Tuesday 6 December 2016

Why the sexual harassment of fat people reaches a different level of offensiveness.

We were trading catcalling and harassment stories.

A group of smart, thoughtful, lively, funny women had gathered, as many women do, for a moment of catharsis and commiseration over the ways in which our bodies are taken from us, little by little, with stunning regularity.

One womans coworker had asked her out three times, unswayed by her declination. Another waited at a bus stop when a man, unannounced, wrapped his arms around her from behind. Gross, everyone agreed. Me too.

The stories gained momentum, building to purging crescendoes of laughter and irritation. This is how we unburden ourselves. This is how we loose tension back into the world that foisted it on us in the first place.

When asked about my own experience, I shared something about an acquaintance making a graphic pass at me months earlier.

He kept telling me how he wanted to hold my arms down while I struggled to get free. It was gross. I shrugged it off.

Friends responses sharpened. What had been lighthearted release turned to vigilance and concern. This moment, with this acquaintance, had felt routine to me. He was not the first man to tell me about a rape fantasy, and he wouldnt be the last. I had assumed it was just a particularly unsavory version of a kind of harassment wed all faced. Other women at the table assured me it was not.

Afterward, a friend asked why I hadnt told anyone sooner. Just as shed been surprised by my experience, I was surprised by her question. The answer felt so evident. Like many women before me, when I share stories of harassment, catcalling, unwelcome advances and violence, I am met with pushback.

Unlike other women, however, there is a common misconception that my body cannot be desired, because I am fat. And that couldnt be further from the truth.

Fat people date, marry, hook up, get lonely, and get laid just like anyone else.

Yet still, we are regularly depicted on screens and pages, by media and loved ones, as undesirable and undesired. Those depictions give way to a belief that fat people are isolated, unloved, desperate, voracious. Grateful for what little attention we get and forever longing for more of it.

So when we are harassed, catcalled, and assaulted, Ive noticed that those moments are supercharged with entitlement and violence. Those who harass us are emboldened by the belief that well be flattered, relieved, or honored by the attention. Their expectations have been skewed by a culture that tells them to indulge in any impulse, disregarding any want that is not their own. A culture that tells them they are entitled to nearly any body they claim. A culture that tells them so many of our bodies are disposable, accessible, and theirs for the taking. A culture that tells them fat girls are easy they want you more than you want them.

And when we dont, they lash out.

A man asked me out years ago. I declined gently, in the way that so many of us do a survival skill to avoid violence. My heart raced, straining against my ribcage as I gingerly chose my words. “Youre so sweet. Id love to. I cant.”

Still, he became agitated, asking why. I told him I was queer. I didnt want any part of him or the picture he painted me into. Still, my rabbit heart wouldnt stop thumping. Still, it stung. Still, I cried.

It felt so familiar. As a fat woman, the messages I receive about sexual harassment are cruel and constant.

Be grateful for the attention you get. Even if its violent. Even if you dont want it. Did that person really want to rape you? Really, you? Because we still think of sexual assault as being driven by desire. And who would want such a wretched body? Of course it gets violent. Of course we dont tell anyone.

Recently, a friend told me over cocktails about the umpteenth time a man made an unwanted pass at her. “Im so over it,” she said. “I get it, youre into me, move on.” I related to her irritation like her, I have felt the frustration of so many strangers entitlement to my body. As women, it seems that our bodies are always public property, there to be grabbed, judged, claimed, conquered. Her frustration I understood I feel it too. But her boredom and disgust stung.

Her body is held up so often as an ideal. Her skin is the shape of desire. When strangers and acquaintances see that silhouette, they approach her, almost reflexively. She constantly spends time, energy, and effort making sure she can stay safe. She does not know when a spurned stranger will turn violent.

She longs for a day uninterrupted by a strangers assessment of her body. So do I.

But where she is sought after with lust and attraction, I am expected as a convenience, readily available. I have shirked my responsibility to have a desirable body, so I am an easy mark. The men who approach me believe I will not resist, and I will not report. I will not be afforded the thin, flimsy veil of courtship. They will speak to me of violent desires, the darkest corners of their intentions.

After all, who would want to rape a fat woman?

My friend has become exhausted with the value of her body. I am terrified with the debt of mine.

Harassment of fat people is so much more than sexual and deeply different from the harassment faced by thinner people.

Strangers on the street regularly approach me to tell me that Im fat and how not to be. Sometimes, they tell me that I wouldnt be fat if I were a better person. Some shout that I shouldnt show my face in public. Others rage at having to see me at all.

The message is clear: Whoever you are, my fat body is more yours than mine. Fat bodies are always someone elses property, open to prescription, lecturing, anger, pity.

Street harassment, catcalling, and sexual harassment dont impact just one kind of body, though.

Street harassment happens when a stranger makes a pass a fat person then laughs derisively. It happens when trans people are asked whats in their pants. It happens when people of color are told to “go back to” another country, regardless of where they were born. It happens when women in headscarves are accused of terrorism.

To dig up the roots of this violence, we cant just listen to the stories that sound like our own. We have to stretch beyond our own experiences and listen to the stories that are unfamiliar to us. Our safety depends on it.

Read more: http://www.upworthy.com/



source http://www.gp724.com/why-the-sexual-harassment-of-fat-people-reaches-a-different-level-of-offensiveness/

No comments:

Post a Comment